Yigal Landau – is a successful businessman with experience in merging initiating and managing large corporations. Landau is well-known figure in the business world and has been for over two decades. In 1992, Yigal Landau and his father, the Rotlevy family, the late Zvi Tzafriri and the geologist Eitan Eisenberg, initiated the establishment of the “Ratio Oil Exploration (1992)” – Limited Partnership. He became the CEO and director, holding office since the very first day of the partnership.
Yigal Landau believes that Israel should strive to reach energy independence, and therefore it must act to remove regulatory obstacles and set the stage for continued business stability in the oil and gas market, enabling ongoing oil and gas exploration in Israel’s economic waters by private entrepreneurs. This vision stems from the knowledge that successful explorations will provide the country the opportunity to release itself from dependence on other countries in the field of energy production and bring about major economic benefits to the Israeli economy.
Yigal Landau is a leader in initiating processes in the energy sector, following his father’s footsteps in the Israeli business community.
Since its inception, Ratio deals with gas exploration under the management of Yigal Landau in areas where petroleum rights were granted by the state of Israel. During its early years Ratio has focused its activities in land oil exploration, however, after discovering a few wells with limited commercial oil and gas quantities, it was decided by Landau and his partners to focus on the Mediterranean Sea, west of the Israeli shoreline, to explore and produce deep water hydrocarbons, as a result of geological analysis carried out by Eitan Eisenberg, the partnership’s Geologist. As recommended by the geologist, Ratio decided to focus on the deep sea, in areas where economic prospects for oil finding is higher, despite the higher costs required to carry out geological surveys and drilling in deep water.
In retrospect, the decision to focus on deep water turned out to be highly successful. In 2007, Ratio received the “Ratio Yam” permit were the Leviathan and Dolphin fields were discovered. The Leviathan field is estimated, as of the end of 2014, as a natural gas quantity volume of about TCF 22 and Condensate volume of 39 million barrels. It is considered one of the world’s most unique fields that combines a large gas volume, top-grade gas quality and high production potential.
Milestones in the business world
- 2005-2013 – Director at “Dalia” Power Energies Ltd. Initiated the power plant in Tel-Tzafit with a capacity of 870MW. This is the country’s largest private plant and its construction investment is estimated at one billion dollars. The plant combines two power generation units totaling approximately 435 MW each, fueled by natural gas.
- January 2001-Present – Director at Proseed Venture Capital Fund Ltd., funding start-ups, high-tech, information technology, medical devices companies and more.
- 1993-Present – Member of the Board of Directors of the Union Bank of Israel Ltd. As a member of the Board of Directors, he serves as a member of the Committee for Fixed Asset Transactions, the Risk Management Committee, Real Investment Committee and the Diamond Merchants Credit Committee.
- 1990-Present – CEO of Hiram Landau Ltd. a leader in real estate and infrastructure development. As part of its activities, Hiram carried out road recycling and asphalt production. Among the company’s projects: an area of 1,200 hectares in the Modi’in area. During 1991 Hiram established the Ecological Ltd. Company for the purpose of research and development of fat-absorbing material.
Among his public activities, Yigal Landau participates in a range of public events, such as charity and fundraising events. Landau raises donations for organizations and foundations, such as the Orr Shalom and Friends of the Kaplan Medical Center foundations. In addition, he hosted the gala evening of the NBN (Nefesh B’Nefesh) and the Nahum Gutman Museum of Art annual event. Landau is a member of the Board of Ariel University in Samaria.
More about Yigal Landau
- MBA from the Tel Aviv University (1986) and Bsc in Engineering from the Technion in Haifa (1982).
- Successfully completed a summer course for executives at Harvard University (1987).
- Military Service: Construction Center, discharged as Major (Ret.).
- Married to Dr. Tzipi Landau, a Tel Aviv school principal.